When we got you home from the hospital you were such a joy. I'm sure every parent feels like they have to say that about their babies, but you truly were. In fact, I think secretly I'm scared to have another child because I'm afraid it won't be as good as it was with you. From the time you got home, you were content with yourself. You never required a lot of entertainment, although you got attached to nursing very quickly and decided that nursing all day was the latest rage, and you were full of laughter.
The first night home, I put you in the cradle that I had so lovingly placed by my bed. You were so pretty laying there and I couldn't believe I was the mother of a daughter. I settled into bed and closed my eyes. Five minutes later I was checking to be sure you were still breathing. You were. I settled down again. Five minutes later I was positive you had stopped breathing. You were still breathing. Your dad asked me what was up, and I said "I keep thinking she stopped breathing" he said you were fine and turned over to sleep. I tried putting my hand on your chest but then I pulled the side of the cradle down and you were starting to fidget. I dozed off and woke up with a start...of course, sure you weren't breathing.
Finally, I'd had enough. I took you out of the cradle and brought you into bed next to me and we both went fast asleep. During the night, you woke up one time to nurse 8 hrs after I had brought you to bed. It was official. Your first night home and you had slept through the night. It was also official that we weren't going to be using that cradle anytime soon.
For the next four years, you would sleep in our bed, right where we wanted you.
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment